This article covers both upgrading (from the Free to the PRO version) and updating (from an older version to a newer one) Elite Keylogger for Mac. The main thing to remember is that you have to run the install process over again when you upgrade or update. However, you do not need to uninstall the old version first and you do have the option of saving your log files and email settings.
Prepare for Upgrade from Free to PRO
1. Go to http://www.widestep.com/elite-keystroke-recorder-pricing and purchase the PRO version.
2. After purchase, you will receive an email with your activation code. Save this code because you will need it.
Perform the Upgrade or Update
1. Go to the Mac you wish to install the new version of Elite Keylogger on. Disable any anti-virus or anti-spyware software running on the Mac.
3. Locate the downloaded install (.dmg) file and double-click on it. Double-click on the Install Elite Keylogger icon that appears. If you are asked if you are sure you want to open this application, select “Open.”
4. Elite Keylogger should detect that you have a previous version of Elite Keylogger running on that computer and ask if you would like to quit it. Select “OK.” Don’t worry, you will able to save your previous logs and settings if you wish. (Note: If you get a message instructing you to log out and then log in again, you will need to log out of your Mac User account (Apple Menu > Log Out) and then log in again before you can continue with the installation.)
5. Enter your app password.
6. On the right-hand side of the next screen you will see the option to “Install in invisible mode.” If you are upgrading from the Free version, enter your activation code in the box provided. If are updating to a new PRO version, your activation code will be entered for you.
7. If you wish to save your logs and app settings (including email settings) from your previous version of Elite Keylogger, leave the box next to “Keep logs and settings” checked. If you do not want to save those files, uncheck the box. Then click “Install in invisible mode.”
8. Enter your Mac Administrator password and click “OK.” Then type your app password twice to ensure that only you can view the logs. Click “Continue.”
9. Type the secret unhide keyword shown on the screen (you can change it later if you would like). Important! Make a note of the unhide keyword and the app password as you will not be able to access Elite Keylogger without them.
10. The Elite Keylogger icon will appear on the top menu bar. Type your app password to access the app. (If you don’t see the icon, click on your Desktop and then type the unhide keyword again.)
11. Your update or upgrade is complete. Click on the Settings (gear) icon in the app window to be sure that your settings transferred correctly.
Keep Track of New Updates
Currently, Elite Keylogger for Mac does not have a way to notify you of new updates (though this is coming in a future release). It is critical that you keep Elite Keylogger up-to-date, as old versions are likely to be detected by anti-virus software.
The best way to get notified of new releases is to follow the RSS feed of our News blog. If you don’t use RSS, you can also use a service like Feed My Inbox to convert RSS feeds to email. Our news RSS feed is: http://help.widestep.com/topics/other/feed/